Woof! Bark! And also Whiiiiiiiiiine.

104 watchers
Apr 2014
3:51pm, 18 Apr 2014
5,320 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Same here on all counts folks!

Our toy box is a huge, old enamel bred bin.
D2
Apr 2014
4:15pm, 18 Apr 2014
5,133 posts
  •  
D2
If I don't bring all toys indoor, in the morning there is a fox poo on top!!!
Apr 2014
6:44pm, 18 Apr 2014
3,740 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Very scary thing happened this evening. On our way back from a reasonable walk with Wanda we were about to turn off the main A road into a little car park that we cross to get home. As we did so I saw a man about to put his dog into the boot of his car in the car park. Wanda was on a very short lead anyway but I sat her down so that I could have a treat to hand and we could then walk 'close' past the man's car in case the boot wasn't yet shut. Unfortunately before any of this could happen the dog saw Wanda and flew at us (he wasn't on the lead) but instead of coming to Wanda he ran straight into the road where he was hit by a car (the driver could have done nothing to avoid that) - the dog got up again and set off on the pavement alongside the road before turning off and heading across fields - now with his owner in hot pursuit.

The car driver stopped and spoke to the owner and I think they exchanged details and the man then carried on after his dog. A couple of other people who'd seen what had happened were really upset.

We walked across the car park where we could see the fields that the dog was now tearing around. There is a vet just a short distance from the car park so we went over there to see if they were open and to see if perhaps a vet nurse could come out (clearly the dog wasn't at deaths door) but the vets were closed so I wrote down the number for the man and went back (leaving Wanda out of sight with J) to his car to wait for him. I gave him the vets emergency number and told him what I saw of where the dog had got hit - the dog seemed remarkably OK all things considered - a graze on his jaw and a graze on his leg. The owner was also fine about it - he said the dog would have run off at anything a bird, a rabbit or any other animal.

I know it wasn't in any way our fault - just unfortunate that we walked round the corner with our dog totally under control at the moment when his dog was not totally under control... but if we hadn't been there the dog would have just got in the car, he'd have shut the boot and driven off.

Hopefully the dog doesn't have serious injuries - and hopefully he'll get it checked over by a vet but it was a truly awful moment to witness..... :-( dog
Apr 2014
6:55pm, 18 Apr 2014
5,321 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Distressing yes and scary - but ABSOLUTELY not your fault. I know you know this but feel I have to stress it.

Could have been much, much worse - I guess that's what's really scary. Seems to point to the fact that we have to keep on training and get as close as we can to that 100% recall.

Long way to go with Jess I hasten to add!
Apr 2014
7:18pm, 18 Apr 2014
7,494 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
You were doing the right thing, Baroness. There is nothing, repeat *nothing* in this incident that is in any way your fault. If the chap knows his dog will escape like that he has to make sure he's got it under control. It sounds like the dog has had a lucky escape (sorry) and I feel just as sorry for you and the car driver as for the other dog owner. xxxx
Apr 2014
6:51pm, 19 Apr 2014
5,322 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Mmm, I felt for the car driver too. Hope you're feeling less unsettled today Baroness.

Saturday Agility for us. Jess was in a particularly idiotic mood. She kept wailing for Raffo. Squawk, squawk, howl, cry, squeak, whistle.

If we both go somewhere with her she can't bear it if the other person disappears or looks like they're about to. She's not even 'really' distressed - or at ;east she wasn't today - I could tell by her face and general demeanour.
Apr 2014
6:55pm, 19 Apr 2014
5,323 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Whoops hadn't finished post....

The lounge suite (three Malmutes and two large coated owners) were in attendance today as well as two small dogs and Bertie, the slightly overweight Springer. This amountof dogs meant there were longer waits before our turn - which gave Jess more of a chance to pretend she was deeply upset and badly done to.
Apr 2014
12:20am, 20 Apr 2014
1,964 posts
  •  
Helegant
Catching up.

So sorry to hear that horrid incident Baroness; and I agree, you did nothing wrong. But how frightening for all.
That story has really made me think about how controlled I dare let Jet be. I've been teaching him to get in and out of the car off-lead recently, but may have to think again about the wisdom of this.

Sharkie, I sympathise with the constant verbalisation. We're experiencing a much milder form as Jet has learned / taught Mr that making a noise will result in treats, so Mr gets the full repertoire every night. I think GSDs have a wider vocal range - do you allow her to 'sing'?

(I've also observed that there are some commands that Mr gives which Jet will obey on the *seventh* repetition. It makes my double-speak seem quite reasonable, but I am trying to reduce to one command and one action.)

Jet finally got his jaws round his large pink football today, which deflated rapidly, and he lost interest when it stopped bouncing back; he's had some good fun chasing it, pushing it, bouncing it off his nose and tumbling over it. Not bad for £3.
Apr 2014
8:36am, 20 Apr 2014
7,510 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
It's funny that we have such vocal dogs. Flossie is far noisier than either of our last two. :-)

I took floss for a pavement walk yesterday becasue she will fail her silver on that alone at the moment. I've got into a bad habot of allowing her to walk too far ahead with no slack in the lead (not pulling, but definitely leading). She was fine, but when we go for our mass walk round Lower Slaughter she is too busy wanting to smell all the exciting and different smells to pay enough attention to me. She's under control, but not enough, if you see what I mean. :-(
D2
Apr 2014
10:22am, 20 Apr 2014
5,134 posts
  •  
D2
my dog doesn't stop 'talking' now she has realised any sound provokes a 'are you ok?' reaction from me!

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Support thread for owners of puppies.
Well, why not?

Now including All Matters dogdogdogDOG dogdogdog