Woof! Bark! And also Whiiiiiiiiiine.

1 lurker | 104 watchers
Apr 2014
2:54pm, 10 Apr 2014
3,715 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
We had a horrible experience with Wanda this morning - she went for another dog - completely unproved and started attacking him. Luckily we were both with her and managed to pull her off him before any real harm was done but it was frightening for all concerned. Fortunately we know the owner as she and her dog used to come to our class - and there is no reason why Wanda should have taken a sudden dislike to him.

Both dogs were on a lead but we do see this lady and her dog (probably a JRT cross) almost every day and there was no obvious trigger for this completely unprovoked attack.

In a way I wish there had been something that we could identify as 'causing' it but in this case it was two dogs who are not usually in any way aggressive and are both fairly well trained and two responsible owners who encourage their dogs to be well behaved. I think I may have to get in touch with Battersea (not to send her back, but for some advice from their behaviour people) and we will certainly be taking the water squirter out with us from now on.:-(
Apr 2014
3:01pm, 10 Apr 2014
5,308 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Oh Baroness, how horrible for all of you. And how strange. SOMETHING must have triggered Wanda's behaviour, but as you indicate - god knows what exactly. Did you feel Wanda really was in 'attack ' mode? I know that sounds daft - you wouldn't be upset if she was just being a bit handbags.

I don't imagine it's much consolation but we have had just one similar occasion. I wasn't there but Raffo said Jess really went for an inoffensive spaniel. Fortunately belonging to someone we know. But he was alarmed. It's never happened before or since.
Apr 2014
3:07pm, 10 Apr 2014
3,716 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I really think that if we had allowed it to escalate she would have picked up this poor little chap and shaken him like a rabbit. There was a lot of nasty snarling as well although I think some of that was from the other dog - but Wanda definitely started it. We later met another (much bigger) dog who Wanda also knows and usually plays off lead with and his owner stopped so that we could walk towards him - Wanda immediately lunged and I just turned round and walked in the other direction a few paces then got her close, turned round and went back and walked a circle round him before stopping and sitting so that was a positive but he is twice Wandas size and the little chap, Hector, is about a third of Wanda's size.
Apr 2014
3:23pm, 10 Apr 2014
5,309 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Mmm, there has to be something - how old is she now? You've said yourself she is now much more confident and perhaps she's testing boundaries. All you can do is what you did on the second encounter (she sounds as if she was already ramped up for that one via the previous encounter)

Jess does sometimes 'start' things on lead. I can't claim it's always the other dog. I think we just have to continue working on it and hope they - eventually in Jess' case - grow up!
Apr 2014
6:17pm, 10 Apr 2014
3,717 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Yes, she is 18 months and definitely going through her rebellious teenager stage. She is very demanding and we're trying to teach her that she can't have her own way all the time (typical bull-breed I guess)
Apr 2014
6:42pm, 10 Apr 2014
1,328 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Don't count on them growing up Sharkie - Leah still lunges, barking, at other dogs....
Apr 2014
9:55pm, 10 Apr 2014
20,594 posts
  •  
Dave A
Feeling you pain Baroness. We've not had a full on attack but we do have a very loud and pully Phoebe on the lead with other dogs. She's slowly improving and we will get there.
Apr 2014
10:51am, 11 Apr 2014
7,436 posts
  •  
lazydaisy
I wonder if sometimes it's the being on lead that makes them feel a bit vulnerable. My sister's first Lab, an un-neutered dog, was always more likely to get a bit bolshie with other dogs if he was on the lead; he never did when off lead. However as this was a snarl-fest out of the blue and Wanda obviously has to be on the lead sometimes, that's not a very helpful observation. I'd be interested to hear what the Battersea people suggest.

A walk with Lily this morning - joy unconfined as far as Floss was concerned but Lara and I again had to end the walk by putting them on the lead to calm the down. At one point they were like hares boxing then chasing like maniacs. The trouble is that Floss is always the one who gets bowled over and is on her back, and Lily is very much the dominant one. At times both Lara and I feel the dominance is a hair's breadth from going too far.
Apr 2014
1:44pm, 12 Apr 2014
20,595 posts
  •  
Dave A
We are currently still pondering what breed Phoebe is. We think part JRT, but not sure what else. Out for last nights walkies someone suggested she was a Parsons Jack Russell. We've done some googling of said breed. Oh dear!

We think a DNA test may be in order ;-)
Apr 2014
3:22pm, 12 Apr 2014
5,728 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
If she has got any Parsons in her, she could always be a bit unpredictable. George (see my avatar) is a Parsons-cross and is definitely a 'character'. Certainly keeps us on our toes.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Support thread for owners of puppies.
Well, why not?

Now including All Matters dogdogdogDOG dogdogdog