swimming equivalent of a marathon ?

3 watchers
Jan 2013
9:02pm, 29 Jan 2013
5,925 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I really fancy that Soapy. Ahm fae Fife originally.

I've got my eye on one of the Henley river swims too.
Jan 2013
9:10pm, 29 Jan 2013
5,307 posts
  •  
flip
I've got my eye on the two bridges. It goes through Medmenham where i learnt to swim as a kid and i even remember swimming i the Thames there. My dad used ot drink in the Rowing club there when we were stationed at RAF Medmenham.

Can't really fit it in this year and i feel i owe it to the organisers ot do a 5 and 10 K first. Next year is a definitely maybe.
Jan 2013
11:18pm, 29 Jan 2013
820 posts
  •  
liverpoool lass
I did that swim last year Flip, it was great! It didn't feel like 14K at all because there were a lot of stops (waiting for boats to pass at the locks etc) :) And it was very friendly too :) A bit expensive though...

Thanks for digging out this thread by the way. Perhaps we could make a list of all events and put them in the header? There seem to be a lot more events now than 2 years ago :-D
Jan 2013
12:11am, 30 Jan 2013
5,308 posts
  •  
flip
sounds good . can you post them . I'm tied up from may to august this year but I have good plans for 2014
Jan 2013
12:22am, 30 Jan 2013
5,309 posts
  •  
flip
I should have said thank you Liverpool lass . it must have been you picture of the T shirt in the gallery that brought it to my attention .

as for it being easier than you thought , you may just have been a much better endurance swimmer than you thought as well . 14k is no mean feat.
Jan 2013
7:16am, 30 Jan 2013
1,141 posts
  •  
Speedie
I came across a guy who competed in this race the other year, 10k of swimming and 50k of running - all done in your same kit

slowtwitch.com
Jan 2013
8:11am, 30 Jan 2013
5,310 posts
  •  
flip
Well i've never come across anything more than this guy did . He starts with a 10 mile swim across windermere. Read on.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/ultimate-triathlon-conquered-by-cumbrian-woodland-officer-1.861580?referrerPath=

justgiving.com
Feb 2013
3:45pm, 3 Feb 2013
423 posts
  •  
manda_r
I've got a list of events, however, it is very london and surrounding area focused.

Also a great place to find a list of events is h20open magazine site as well
Mar 2013
5:17pm, 13 Mar 2013
824 posts
  •  
liverpoool lass
Oh dear I completely forgot I had to put that list of events in the header!

In the meantime, a new swim is being organised by a charity, a Lake Windermere crossing (10.5 miles), wetsuits allowed!!!

h2openmagazine.com

I'd so love to do this but £1800 sponsorship is not something I'd manage to raise this year any more :(

I could crew or anyone who'd want to do it and needed some helpers :)
May 2013
8:43pm, 1 May 2013
3 posts
  •  
Pip_G
I did the Henley 14k last year too and I promise that it's nowhere near as hard as it sounds. It was probably 'easier' last year as the river flow was quite fast due to all the rain we had, but the fact that you get stops and it's not really a race (think cycling sportive) and you work in groups makes it fab. I might go back again this year. It's also quite satifying to mentiont that you swam 14k !

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi there

I was wondering why there isn't anything like swimming marathons. Or maybe there are? ...