Bike maintenance for dummies.

101 watchers
Apr 2014
10:11pm, 11 Apr 2014
2,997 posts
  •  
CStar
Brakes =LBS for me. I can do pretty much anything else, but never ever seem to be able to get the brakes quite right and it ends up with lots of sweary stuff. I've got one rebuild completely done and I'm off to LBS tomorrow for the final piece - brake settings!
Apr 2014
8:02am, 12 Apr 2014
1,653 posts
  •  
Winded
The thing I currently find tricky is properly lining up the front derailleur. I imagine I'll get the knack with more trial & error.

When I started riding bikes again (not long ago) I found doing anything to the brakes awkward. I had frog leg cantilever brakes- after changing the front brake to a double pivot I found it much easier to tinker. My commuter has V brakes which I find easiest of all.
Jun 2014
2:41pm, 23 Jun 2014
1,379 posts
  •  
Angel Wings
*stupid question alert*

[IMAGE]

The bit in the photo on my bike is breaking. It appears to be the grey cable thing where it goes into the black spinny-round thing. I would like to fix said grey cable thing. I assume it is called something technical like brake cable housing?

Before I phone the bike-part shop and make an utter idiot of myself once again, is this what it is *really* called? Do I need to replace the brake cable itself too, or indeed does it make sense to replace brake cable too while I am at it? In other words, what bits do I need to ask for?

And is there a handy youtube or similar type instruction thing which means I can follow along whilst attempting to fix it before a) asking teen to help me or b) taking it in the bike shop anyway? I'd really like to learn how to do this stuff now I have the very basics under control.

I would be very grateful of help so I can get out on bike before it rains again :0) Thanks
Jun 2014
2:51pm, 23 Jun 2014
1,927 posts
  •  
Winded
The cable outer fits into a ferrule, the ferrule fits into the cable stop; it is like a cup with a hole in the bottom. It looks to me like the problem is the ferrule(they cost very little). The difficulty is that to replace the ferrule you need to cut off the crimp thing on the end if the cable, remove the bit of outer near the brakes, remove old ferrule, put on new ferrule and then put the cable back through the other bit of cable outer. This may prove tricky because the cable will be a bit knackered where it connects to the brake. You may need a new brake inner too. For the sake of a couple of quid I'd replace inner & outer. Ferrules are so cheap thy normally put some in with the cable outer for free.
Jun 2014
2:53pm, 23 Jun 2014
19,507 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
It's a cable end cap (the plasticy bit which has busted.)
To be honest, there is such a tight kink there that I suspect that your rear changes are pretty ropey.
If it were my (or V'rap's) bike, I'd get a new cable set, which will come with new end caps) and replace it
It's not expensive (about £13 for a gear cable set from Ribble) - and you can do the front as well!
Jun 2014
2:54pm, 23 Jun 2014
1,928 posts
  •  
Winded
On looking at the picture again I'm wondering if that is a brake cable with a gear cable ferrule on it? They are a slightly different size and one type is usually metal while the other is plastic/rubber.
Jun 2014
2:55pm, 23 Jun 2014
19,508 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
oops - ferrule is correct

[stands in the norty corner]
Jun 2014
2:56pm, 23 Jun 2014
851 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Is it not the (rear?) derailleur (gears) rather than the brakes. Pull the brake levers and trace the cables that move to confirm!
Jun 2014
2:57pm, 23 Jun 2014
1,929 posts
  •  
Winded
If I look carefully I can see that it is a gear cable (from where it is on the bike) so it is a gear ferrule on a gear cable. (Joins elBee in the corner)
Jun 2014
3:33pm, 23 Jun 2014
1,383 posts
  •  
Angel Wings
It is indeed the gear cable, sorry.

Which would explain my problem on Saturday changing from big/small cogs things.

The plastic bit (gear cable ferrule) seems intact when I compare it to t'other side. It's the end of the grey cable where it changes to a black colour which is at the odd angle.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
A thread for your questions about fixing common bike problems.

Need help naming a part? jimlangley.net