Bike maintenance for dummies.

101 watchers
Jun 2011
12:34pm, 20 Jun 2011
9,470 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I thought it might be handy having a thread for this. I know that there are some bike mechanics/builders out in Fetchland who might be able to pint us in the right direction.
Jun 2011
12:37pm, 20 Jun 2011
9,471 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I've got a noise occurring at the moment in my cranks. It's a regular sort of grinding/rubbing sound that happens when my right foot moves from three o'clock to six o'clock, and only really noticebale when I've got big ring front/small ring back engaged. Because it is so regular I'm discounting the chain as being to blame. Might it be my front derailleur out of whack, or am I looking at needing to grease my bottom bracket, perhaps?
Jun 2011
12:44pm, 20 Jun 2011
3,720 posts
  •  
Lyra OK
Good thread, DeeGee. Despite a daily bike commute of around 20 miles, I've no idea how bikes actually work and would be scuppered if anything went wrong with mine.

Anyway, how someone comes along with some advice for you.
Jun 2011
12:47pm, 20 Jun 2011
26 posts
  •  
miss lippy
Excellent idea DeeGee. Unfortunately i know nowt about bikes so I can't diagnose yours but interestingly i have a similar issue to you, apart from mines a knocking sound!
Jun 2011
12:48pm, 20 Jun 2011
6,524 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Hmmm.

Could be shagged bottom bracket bearings.
Could be a loose crank arm.
Could be the chain catching on the outer plate of the front mech. That's be the first thing I'd check - it's quite a distinctive noise once you hear it, and is something that can come on even if your gears 'were' correctly adjusted as any cable stretch will reduce the amount by which your mech moves - so it'll gradually 'creep' inwards from the correct position.
Jun 2011
12:48pm, 20 Jun 2011
8,650 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I think I'm going to lurk here too as I have no idea about bike maintenance type stuff...
Jun 2011
12:50pm, 20 Jun 2011
6,525 posts
  •  
Slowboy
knocking sound is almost certainly BB bearings.

If you've got clipless pedals they can be the source of a number of odd creaking/cracking noises too.

Plus......I spent AGES looking for a noise in my transmission, before Pierre very helpfully made a suggestion that made me realise it was actually the saddle creaking......identifying exactly where the noise is coming from whilst you are riding can be difficult :-)
Jun 2011
12:51pm, 20 Jun 2011
3,743 posts
  •  
Porky pilotlight
bottom bracket I reckon , no harm in re-greasing it and then if it's gone, then it was that. if not try again.
Jun 2011
12:52pm, 20 Jun 2011
9,473 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Thanks slowboy. I'll look at those three for the time being, starting with the chain/front mech clash. That seems to me to be the easiest to rectify. I'm keen to learn my way around my bike, anyway, so I'm happy to give it a go.
Jun 2011
12:54pm, 20 Jun 2011
27 posts
  •  
miss lippy
Slowboy I am as ignorant to what the parts are on my bike as I am to bike repair. What are the BB bearings and is it serious??!!

I do have clipless pedals so maybe it's just those but it only came on a few weeks ago when i got new wheels for my bike.......

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
A thread for your questions about fixing common bike problems.

Need help naming a part? jimlangley.net