Heart rate

298 watchers
Nov 2007
10:50pm, 12 Nov 2007
2,155 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
On the other hand - someone who spikes a little above 70% on an easy run or drops slightly below 85% on a hard session will NOT have wasted that run.
They are goals, not absolutes!
And people are not machines!
Nov 2007
11:21pm, 12 Nov 2007
11,164 posts
  •  
I wasn't referring to what you just said elbee. how could I be, you posted it AFTER my post. It is impossible to run precisely at any arbitrary pace, HR or other measure without some fluctuation unless of course a machnie tried it maybe...

I said very clearly if ALL said person's runs fell in between. This is what I posted:

"that if all of said person's runs fell into between 70%WHR and LESS THAN 85% WHR then that person would be training outside of the original purpose of their training regime "

People are not machines, you are right. However, I never said they were and I don't expect them to be... I was merely expressing my opinion or understanding of the 'grey area' in response to Boab actually and wasn't particularly advocating any training technique there at all.
Nov 2007
11:22pm, 12 Nov 2007
2,157 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
[sigh]
Nov 2007
11:26pm, 12 Nov 2007
2,158 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
I see that the joys of saying the same thing without the benefit of face to face communication has reared it's ugly head again.
I was firstly agreeing with your point, Ian..... and then making a further point!

And this Testosterone Hurling is getting a little tedious.
I'll take my unwanted opinions elsewhere
Nov 2007
11:34pm, 12 Nov 2007
26 posts
  •  
Joopsy, Glad you're making improvements like me. As you say it rocks.

ElBee, your opinions are far from unwanted. In the short time I've been here I've always found them very useful. I can also say the same about IanM.
Nov 2007
9:51am, 13 Nov 2007
11,808 posts
  •  
Hendo
I think what has happened here is that the thread has progressed from people genuinely wanting to begin heart rate training in earnest, as a tried and trusted method of base training, to one where heart rate training can be used for more advanced techniques. Boab's post here is a prime example of this because clearly he is not concerned with building an endurance base. In fact I think his question was more of a "junk miles" question?

In the same vein, the likes of eL Bee, Ian, and probably myself now benefit from an established base to which the mystical and controversial "grey area" is less of an issue. In my experience and opinion, those without an appropriate endurance base will still benefit greatly from the whole 70/85% thing.

Please feel free to shout me down if you think this is not the case.

I would like to propose a solution to this issue because this thread itself is becoming a bit of a grey area and I fear that people are either going to be scared off by conflicting advice, or get potentially inappropriate (not incorrect) advice as to how best to build their endurance base using the heart rate method.

My proposal is to begin a thread to compliment this one - lets call it "Base training", or "HR training for beginners" or something.

Any thoughts?
Nov 2007
10:04am, 13 Nov 2007
2,021 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Excellent, utterly sensible post! Round of applause for Hendo :)

I tend not to post much here (although I'm an interested lurker) because I see it as a "Parker" thread - and after I'd decided not to persist with the 70%/85% thing any contributions I had to make would have been about as relevant as me trying to post on a triathlon thread.

But I'm a train-slow, race-fast, hard-easy soul and would quite appreciate somewhere to hang out and talk about it.

It would be a shame if this thread got completely fudged-out and there wasn't somewhere for people who *are* doing well on 70%/85%, like Pixie and Girlie, to find advice and support that is focused and prescriptive without having to pick through posts that refer to other forms of base-training or other uses for a HRM. I think a spin-off is an excellent idea and hope that "graduates" like IanM, Hendo and eL Bee! will continue to offer advice to newcomers.
Nov 2007
10:20am, 13 Nov 2007
2,113 posts
  •  
hellen
I agree velo
I see parker as very strict and after 10 months of it have had enough as I dont seem to be progressing. However, I do agree with the hard-easy principle.

A few weeks back, remember when all that banter went on and I was kind of told off and there was the X to stand on. what I was trying to say then was parker isnt for me but can I do something similar and still make progress. What happened though was that I was told no so an alternative thread where people are allowed to doubt parker and do things in a similar way but not as strictly is what I suppose I woudl have liked back then (and now).
Nov 2007
10:24am, 13 Nov 2007
291 posts
  •  
Bob!
So

Now that loads of people are dumping Parker has anyone got a copy of the book that they'd like to give away?

;-)
Nov 2007
10:25am, 13 Nov 2007
2,022 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Sell you one, Bob!. £85 including gift-wrapping ;)

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach