Heart rate

298 watchers
Apr 2014
12:07pm, 4 Apr 2014
4,416 posts
  •  
paul the builder
To complete the data set, I think the thread would like Gobi to undertake a similar easy paced run, but carrying an 8kg weight.

For the good of science, y'see ;-)
Apr 2014
1:40pm, 4 Apr 2014
53,828 posts
  •  
Gobi
LOL Paul - I shall see if I can do that and run the same loop
Apr 2014
10:51am, 8 Apr 2014
53,851 posts
  •  
Gobi
IT just gets better

7:52 pace for 109 avgHR 857 beats per mile

Life is light
Apr 2014
10:58am, 8 Apr 2014
4,430 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Went to check your log - I assumed it was going to be a gentle 4-5m bimble, but fair play. 11 miles. You must have a massive set of ventricles on you.
Apr 2014
11:16am, 8 Apr 2014
53,852 posts
  •  
Gobi
LOL forgot to write the distance :¬)

Heart the size of my rib cage :¬)
Jul 2014
3:46pm, 23 Jul 2014
83 posts
  •  
dibbers
I'm baffled by how I compare to my training partner. Our real MHR and resting HR are pretty much the same -his 171/46 and he's 50 years old. Mine is 170/42 and I'm 53.

In races over the last year or so, he's generally 1 minute quicker than me on a 10k and perhaps 2 minutes on a half marathon (although I have beaten him on occassions, but 8 out of 10 races he'd probably just beat me)-so we're not too far apart really.

When we run aerobically together at the same pace, he's usually around 10-12 bpm lower than me, which suggests he has a considerably better developed aerobic base, yet his times don't reflect this.

I was hoping he has a dodgy heart rate strap!

Can anyone shed some light?
Jul 2014
4:15pm, 23 Jul 2014
54,338 posts
  •  
Gobi
Dibbers - he is faster therefore he is better developed. The fact that the gap gets bigger when you go to a half confirms his aerobic fitness is better than yours.

Of course he could just have a bigger heart and be a low beater :¬)
Jul 2014
4:18pm, 23 Jul 2014
84 posts
  •  
dibbers
It just seems that the difference in BPM seems huge compared to the difference in actual race times
Jul 2014
4:22pm, 23 Jul 2014
54,339 posts
  •  
Gobi
Dude - do you know how far a minute is in a 10km or 2 mins is in a half

It is a long way, if it was 10 seconds then I may have a different view
Jul 2014
4:31pm, 23 Jul 2014
85 posts
  •  
dibbers
Fair enough. I'll just have to accept that the bastard is fitter than me!

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach