K5 Gus
Baz - 5 weeks to Edin half, not 4 :-)
I've got e2nb 20 miler in 2 weeks, then 3 weeks to the half
Apr 2014
2:54pm, 18 Apr 2014
6,657 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
jda, 15 months ago I was returning from injury and so ran lower milage and included cycling. I was doing roughly 10-12 mile cycle every morning to work and I built up to 5 run days, think I started at around 3 runs from the december. I also had a weekly swim in there as often as I could motivate myself. That got me in to a reasonable shape and ended with a 3;13 high time. I will buddy you so you can look at my training log.

happy G is the other man to talk to about lots of cross training and the Furman programme....maybe LunaMan did that as well IIRC
Apr 2014
2:57pm, 18 Apr 2014
6,658 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
So it is Gus, I miscounted......its usually been 5weeks after london, sometimes 4......presume the late easter has given us an extra week this year...

I considered the E2NB 20 miler, but decided against it knowing I woul probably run it at HM pace and blow up, thus ruining the half itself
Apr 2014
3:41pm, 18 Apr 2014
643 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Yeah, never run a 20 before, so not sure what pace to go at. My half was 6:34 and my Mara was 7:03 (watch ) or 7:00 ( chip ).
I suppose 6:52 might be a good speed to try ;-)
Apr 2014
4:45pm, 18 Apr 2014
2,764 posts
  •  
lunaman
jda - if you can be bothered, check my blog from 2012 for a report on a pretty successful bike-run marathon training campaign.

And, to sum up the conclusions in my latest epic blog, those high hours of training (for me) made me fitter than wot I am now.

But if you can get away with just running alone, without injury, you do get back a heck of a lot of time for other things in your life (like making graphs).
Apr 2014
6:57pm, 18 Apr 2014
6,206 posts
  •  
LouLou
Lovely weather today - got up for a run with ultra Stoosh kitted out in his race vest. I have then spent the entire day in my bed with pre-night shift depression. I'm actually excited for the Highland Fling next weekend but very thankful I'm just supporting.

I need a proper focus to get myself back into this running malarky - london showed me that I can't do this half heartedly and it wasn't really fitness that let me down - think running a 1.26 half in thee build up showed I wasn't hugely off previous form but on reflection none of my long runs felt like a walk in the park.

Going to try and race more and build more quality back in - think swapping some easy runs for cross training/ strength conditioning may help. Having a 27 hour day may also help ;)
Apr 2014
7:21pm, 18 Apr 2014
6,659 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Lou, a lot of running is in the mind.....I think your plan sounds sensible

First run back for me tonight.....pretty warm and just a gentle loosener. Both halmstrings revealed themselves to still be pretty tight so I need to get a stretching and a foam rollering.....and so it begins
Apr 2014
7:28pm, 18 Apr 2014
22,064 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Did anyone notice that a certain Mr S Way got his rather fantastic VLM time and PB off the back of training for an ultra? (And I'm sure significant talent and marathon specific training too, but nonetheless, the word "ultra" was def in there - I can't remember which one he's done, or doing, but I'm gonna find out!)

Just sayin'... :-) G
Apr 2014
7:30pm, 18 Apr 2014
6,660 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
A quite brilliant run indeed....and given that opportunity Mr G,I need to enquire, when is your sub 2:50 attempt ;-)
Apr 2014
7:33pm, 18 Apr 2014
22,065 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Stockholm 100K. He's done a couple of 50Ks too. Hmmm... I'm thinking I'd like to try and get another 3:14 Bazo, but maybe see if there's any speed possible too, mixing in with building up distance. All the ultra training advice says to keep speed work going for same reason as in marathon - going faster at shorter stuff makes the slower stuff for longer distances feel easier and more sustainable. Train all the physiological components separately and they complement each other. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester
Mark J: 3:12 @ Christchurch NZ
PJH92: 3:13 @ London

2024 declarations:
Boston UK 28/4: SJA
Copenhagen 5/5: bowman