Anyone up for a swimmy challenge?

18 watchers
Apr 2011
1:16am, 23 Apr 2011
629 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
You're right Jen, pulling is a good drill. But only when combined with kick drills and full stroke practice. Training balance is also an important thing. You wouldn't only do sprint running, you'd do tempo, interval, fartleck. LSR etc. Same with swimming. You have to balance it all out. So there should be kick drills too, during which you concentrate on kicking from the hip, flexing slightly the knee and slightly more the ankle (and the better you get it, the faster you go). Fins could also be used, at times, to accentuate the movement of the ankle. Plus all the other drills. Plus full stroke. Plus time in the pool (effectively LSR equivalent).

I recommend joining a club (either tri or masters) and going regularly to a structured, and preferably coached, session.

Seriously, keep at it. It will come.
Apr 2011
10:27am, 23 Apr 2011
17,654 posts
  •  
JenL
Fins scare me. It's like suddenly finding you have an engine :-) crab
May 2011
6:00pm, 23 May 2011
139 posts
  •  
MissTash
Hi everyone. I have recently decided to start swimming again (again as in I havn't been swimming in nearly 10 years) and I am hoping to go at least 3 times a week and eventually increase distance and time. I prefer to do the front crawl however I'm having problems teaching myself to do this with my head under the water, I struggle with the timing of bringing my head out of the water and letting the breath out before I do this. Can anyone give me some tips how to make this easier? Thanks
May 2011
7:49pm, 23 May 2011
18,191 posts
  •  
JenL
Hi, Miss Tash

Getting the breathing right is one of the hardest things about front crawl. Have a look through this thread

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=18625
There's a lot of good technique advice in it.

And here's a useful website swimsmooth.com
crab
May 2011
8:06pm, 23 May 2011
140 posts
  •  
MissTash
Thanks JenLwill have a look now :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Luiz
A swimming challenge for amphibious fetchies.

Challenge #4 - post your best times for 100M, 400M, 1000M before 26th September, and beat them by 25th December! Any queries please ask PinchyII

The spreadsheet's here: spreadsheets.google.com